Art Pact 11


"The whole idea is absurd," Christian complained from the end of the table. The tiny cuboid of lamb on the end of his fork, which had come dangerously close to its toothy nemesis, waved back and forth like the tip of a conductor's baton. Tiny droplets of juice dripped off it in either direction, falling onto the checked tablecloth. "The whole idea, I say." Christian let the morsel get closer, so close, but just as he was about to bite it off the tines he interrupted himself again. "Whoever thought of it should be fired. Fired or shot. Fired /then/ shot!" he concluded happily. He let his arm fall back down to the table, and his fork onto the plate, nodding to himself in satisfaction.

"I don't think we can ask them to kill a man-"

"-or woman!"

"...or woman," Allison said, "for the crime of a bad suggestion."

The lamb, which had once again soared up towards Christian's mouth, again halted.

"I'm not talking about the original moron," Christian told them. "I'm talking about the person who thought that it would be a good idea to commission it! People come up with bad ideas all the time, I understand that. But there are bad ideas and bad ideas. Most of us"--he looked pointedly at Rufus--"most of us are able to suppress our instinctual creativity and channel it into productive areas. And even when we can't, when we absolutely must speak aloud whatever drivel has leapt into our minds at the behest of some crazed muse, even then, we rely on the good sense of our peers and the community at large to drown out such nonsense with reasoned thought."

"I thought you meant-"

"Yes, I know, that is exactly my point. Having come to a misconception, you rely on others - on me, in this case - to point it out. You are of course grateful for the correction, and our dialogue continues."

"She doesn't look too grateful," Rufus pointed out. Indeed, Allison was frowning furiously at Christian and a more sensitive man might have shuffled his chair sideways in order to put himself out of striking distance. But Christian waved away Rufus's objection and pointed his fork - plus the now-cold titbit of meat still impaled on it - at the younger man.

"And you, I lay some of the blame at your feet."

"My feet?"

"Wasn't it you that told us to get involved with these charlatans in the first place?" Christian demanded. "I seem to remember some assurances, some fervent arguing in their favour by a young man not a million miles away from this very table."

"I introduced you to them," Rufus admitted. "But it's a bit harsh to say I argued for them."

"Well then I apologise for my harshness. But wait - perhaps... do I recall your exact words upon introduction? I do, Rufus, I do!"

"You do?" Allison said. "Why don't you ever remember anything I say?"

"I remember it," Christian muttered. "But you - you came to us with your two little friends in suits. Your good friends, that was how you introduced them to us: 'these are my good friends Brian and Karen', you said, your words exactly."

"That's not arguing," Rufus said. "That's an introduction."

"Any introduction is an argument!" On the words /any/ and /argument/ the older man stabbed at the air with his fork, as though trying to feed a recalcitrant baby of which he was not particularly fond. "You described them as good friends, and the implication was clear that you trusted them. That you had history, that they were, in short, people with whom I should conduct my own friendship. People who were trustworthy in the personal and business realm!"

"Perhaps Rufus should have had a disclaimer ready when he introduced them," Allison suggested.

"That would not have been a terrible idea, although I do recognise that you made it sarcastically and I am therefore unwilling to back its adoption with fifty thousand of my personal dollars," Christian said pointedly.

"Look," said Rufus, "I know plenty of people who I trust personally. That doesn't mean I'd give them my money."

"And suffering such a painful diversity of acquaintances, you thought that the experience was so enjoyable that Allison and I would like to be included, was that your motive?"

"I'm sorry," Rufus said, sticking up his hands in surrender. "I didn't know it was going to turn out this way. You know, I didn't think that they'd-"

"You can stop there," Christian said triumphantly. "That's the crux of it. You didn't think."

He smiled smugly, then opened his mouth for an instant to pop the end of the fork in.

When it emerged again, it was clean.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Art Pact 176 - In Memory

Art Pact 115

Art Pact 50